Saturday 22 May 2010

James Dieter


Named the Origami Chair, this prototype is made from polycarbonate and polyester mesh, the layer of polycarbonate gives the structure its strength and is sandwiched between two layers of mesh. The chair is made from a single net which, when assembled, becomes a strong, free standing chair. Due to the semi-transparent properties of the materials used the structure of the chair remains visible. The materials also give the chair angularity and crisp, bold lines. 
The nature of the chair being made up from net could be an interesting alternative to the traditional origami methods I have been using, it would make putting the boxes together easier and require less folding and doubling up on layers. I think the technique could enable me to create shapes easier though I think it would spoil the effect that you get from folding the pieces from same shape squares. The materials he has used for this chair could give my own pieces more of an industrial aesthetic, I would like to look into using materials similar though perhaps on a smaller scale. 
If I were to experiment with making my own origami boxes I would look into using this technique, it would be easier to come up with my own designs, however as I have so far focused mainly on traditional origami I think it would be more in keeping with my project to continue on the same route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment