Saturday 27 March 2010

Hide & Seek

After looking at different types of camouflage and defensive behaviour, I began looking into ways in which people hide in society and after brainstorming around this notion I decided to conduct a experiment where I got my sister and my friend, Tristan, to play the childhood game Hide & Seek.
Hiding is a natural reaction for children when they're scared but when playing it then becomes a game. When I played hide & seek as a child I remember having an adrenaline rush whilst running off to hide and then the anticipation whilst waiting in some dark corner in a house to be found. I wanted Tristan and my sister to recapture this excitement but while playing it outside. I then documented my journey to finding them. The most interesting pictures I got out of it were of the moments before they realised I'd found them, my sister was up a tree and Tristan had hidden on a window sill.
Tristan had a mixture of reactions, he enjoyed it as it 'wasn't an everyday occurrence and you don't often get to hide without question', he chose his spot 'because it was away from the hustle of the street' which meant he was above everyone so he wasn't in anyones way. He also said it was 'more about observing than being observed' and didn't want other people to see him, which is why he went up.
The pictures I took of my sister and Tristan when I found them are the most descriptive of the game, though whilst I was looking for them I came across a couple of places that would also have made a good spot to hide in, so the majority of the pictures could provide a useful source of information for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment