Tuesday 23 March 2010

Workshop: Eggs


A day workshop in which we were given the task to design an alternative to the conventional egg box. I wanted to design a device which would be completely different in shape and aesthetic. The end result resembled a roll of newspaper (partly from the papier mâché but also the tube shape) I like the connotations of breakfast which come from this.
The tube also worked really effectively in protecting the eggs, the papier mâché helped reinforce the structure and I liked the way which the eggs had to be wrapped before being put through the holes.
This act of wrapping and then hiding an object has connotations of the game pass-the-parcel and follows on from some initial ideas I had from the brief. I quite like the childhood memories this game conjures though it is also connected with how a product which you buy from a shop is packaged, Apple are a good example of how packaging can become part of the experience of buying and unwrapping something, even going as far as having a team whose sole job is to create this experience.
The idea of protecting a delicate object has influenced my Armour project, after this workshop I have become really interested in the act of wrapping, protecting and hiding. I'd like to look into unconventional means of protection and will follow it up with a casting workshop as I feel this could provide a good base for my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment