Wednesday 24 March 2010

Workshop: Knit

Knit became the main theme for my last project but I'm still interested in the technique and as I only used knitting needles before, it was interesting learning to use a machine. Above are some of the samples which I made during the workshop, the one on the far left was created using a Fair Isle knitting pattern punch card native to the north of Scotland, the second was created by moving stitches about to make holes and give a lace pattern, the final sample was made with a variety of techniques such as changing the tightness of the stitch for the row and at the top by hooking lower stitches into new rows.
I enjoyed learning a new technique for knitting but the amount of problems I had during the process rather put me off the machines, I can see the benefit of being able to quickly make lots of rows but I feel that it takes some of the personality out of the piece, especially since my grandma taught me and I closely relate it to her.
A good method for making large pieces of knit, though there are more techniques that can be applied whilst knitting if done by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment