Wednesday 14 April 2010

Workshop: Casting


The casting workshop was definitely one of the most interesting and useful workshops. In this workshop we learnt how the object should be cast so that the original could still be removed from the cast, how to mix the plaster and then how to cast the finished mould. I took in a small ceramic duck to cast, it's shape was quite simple so I only needed to make two halves for the mould. I found that at the end of the process I preferred the mould to the wax duck I got from it, I liked how the mould was a flawless copy of the duck and also the smoothness of it, whereas the wax ducks were rougher and needed trimming to shape due to lost wax. 
I'd like to use this method to create some more objects, perhaps making the cast into the finished product and making it from different materials to see what different effects I could achieve. If the cast were to be the finished item I would want to line it with a contrasting material, such as velvet or silk, to cushion the object the mould had been made from. I'd also like to try out ways of making an object out of a delicate material, such as porcelain though this may prove difficult to remove from the mould.
I'd like to see if I could make a mould that could potentially be a useful object, some kind of storage or protective carrying device. I think the technique is interesting and there are a lot of different avenues I could explore using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment