Tuesday 18 May 2010

Copper Origami


The first material testing I did with the origami was to try out a few of the forms in copper sheet. This material is relatively easy to fold though this depended on how many times I tried to fold it, the more times I folded it there became a greater possibility that holes would be made and that I wouldn't get such a crisp line. 
The box in the foreground of the photo above is the first test I did with the copper, this required only one square and meant that there were a lot of initial folds before it was assembled. From this sample I found that I liked the aesthetic of the copper and how it could make the form more interesting, but it wasn't very successful and the metal crumpled too much.
The second box I made, in the background of the photo above, was made up of three squares of copper, each piece was only folded four times in total which meant that it was easier to get an accurate crisp line. The three sides then slot into one another and, as the assembly is so straight forward, they fit together quite accurately.
I particularly like the copper as a material as it makes the origami more durable and appear more valuable. I'd like to see if I could find a way to make the boxes fit together better and also to remove the sharp edges made when cutting the squares. They could also be made to appear more sumptuous by lining them with a plush material such as velvet so that the items inside were being cushioned and protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment