Tuesday 18 May 2010

Customisable Origami


I began my research into customisable origami boxes by looking at existing patterns and how they could be manipulated to change. The above photo is of a tower box, it currently has two layers but could become taller by adding more layers to it. Because of they way the pieces slot together the box becomes rigid and could support the weight of items in the top layers. With this example I like how the height would be determined by the owner and that they could swap between layers easily, the only problem would be what would to do with the layers you weren't using, would they have to stay in the tower or become something extra to store away till you needed it or forgot it. However this example could look really effective if each level was made from a different material, giving the box an aesthetic and textural variety.
As well as looking at existing boxes I thought about how I could change a simple straight forward box. I want to try out lining some of the stronger boxes with pieces of decorative material which could then be tied around the contents of the box, the tails then going over the edge to be tied over the lid, securing it in place. I think this could work quite effectively with the copper boxes, but I would have to find or create a design with could be stackable as the triangular boxes aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment