Monday 24 May 2010

Electric Origami


I found an article showing how to create your own light up origami balloon using simple circuitry knowledge, some aluminium foil, an LED light and a watch battery. In the instructions it gives a pattern for the circuit which can be printed out and two methods for affixing the foil to the paper, the first using freezer paper and then second using the toner on the print out. I attempted sticking it to the paper using the second method but it didn't work and was a lot easier just using pritt stick. On my first attempt I ripped the foil so the circuit didn't work properly however on the second go it worked a lot better and I managed to get the bulb to light up. In the instructions the circuit seemed to be quite sensitive and seemed to light up quite easily, I found that unless the connection with all the components was secure the light would either not work or flicker so I ended up have to tape it all in place. 
I like how well the light comes through the paper and quite enjoyed making my own circuit out of a few small pieces. It's a shame that to make it work I had to tape everything as it spoils the look of the origami, though for testing out an idea I think it works really well and could possibly also be used for my origami lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment