Saturday 22 May 2010

Material Origami


I decided to see what kind of effect I could get from using cloth when folded into origami shapes and found it incredibly difficult to get crisp, straight lines which make the origami look good. As the material is so floppy I first ironed all the lines and when assembling it I then had to use thread to keep them in place, I tried to keep all thread detail hidden on the exterior but I quite like the effect it gives on the interior so if I could sew it neatly enough I don't think it would look out of place. I had planned on inserting a cord through the sides and having the ends exposed so that it could be pulled tight, sealing the opening, however the pattern I decided to use has too many holes and the way I have sewn it the contents could fall through.
I like the feel of the origami in the material though I think a more rigid material would be able to retain the folds better and make sewing it easier. I would also use a different net which wasn't so complicated to assemble. I like the idea of it being used as a change purse, or if made larger it could store bulkier objects. The ability to be crumpled without ruining the shape when opened out makes the cloth an interesting solution to Julia's suggestion of having a customisable origami to fit any shape and size, such as the Beyond Boxes design allows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment