Sunday 23 May 2010

Plaster Origami


After experimenting with the buckram earlier I decided to see how it would hold up when dipped in plaster, these are photos of the sample. I liked the look and feel of the previous sample however I think that by dipping it it has become less disposable and could look more valuable and effective if glazed or lined. I like the solidity of the form and how it has retained the detail in the origami without being spoilt. I'd have liked the plaster to have been absorbed more which might have been possible if I had used more water in the mixture, although the material itself isn't very absorbent and by adding more water it might not be as solid. All the pieces were glued into place before hand to secure them into the right positions and also to stop them from moving when plastered.
A glaze or a lining could give the origami even more value, I'd like to see how the material would look if dipped in porcelain and then fired. If I only dipped the paper origami it would become very fragile as the paper disintegrates, but as the material could absorb more of the porcelain it may not become much weaker even though the fibres would still be burnt away. I think it could make the origami more aesthetically pleasing as the plaster removes some of the delicacy connected with it, however for quick sampling I am pleased with the effect from the plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment